Monday, August 30, 2010

Grilled Eggplant Parmesan

I saw this made on the TV show "Just Cook This with Sam the Cooking Guy" on Fit TV. It looked so delicious I HAD to try it. I had one small hiccup though. I had never eaten eggeplant (I know, I know...what planet do I live on right?). Come to find out I may not be the biggest fan of this vegetable, however...I think eggplant lovers would love this, so I am sharing. Let me know! The picture was taken with my phone, so I apologize if it's fuzzy.


Photobucket


Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
adapted from Sam the Cooking Guy

  • 1 large globe eggplant - or 2 smaller ones
  • 3 large tomatoes
  • 4 slices mozzarella cheese
  • 4 crusty Italian type rolls, split in half
  • 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1 bunch fresh basil
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh Ground Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Italian seasonings

Directions:


Cut eggplant & tomatoes to get eight 1/4 inch slices of each. Brush eggplant and bread with olive oil. Season eggplant and tomatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some garlic powder and Italian seasoning on inside of bread.

Grill eggplant on both sides until soft and marked with grill lines. Do the same with tomatoes, but for about half the eggplant time. Toast the bread on the grill as well.

Heat broiler. Assemble sandwiches in this order...
2 slices of eggplant, 2 slices of tomato, 3 large basil leaves, mozzarella cheese and finally about 2 tablespoons of parmesan.

Place open-face under broiler to melt cheese and brown the top - but don't go far you don't want them to burn. Place tops on and slice in half.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the launch of your blog! I'm not the biggest fan of eggplant, either, but I do like eggplant parm sometimes. The way I make it, slice it vrey thin (~1/4 in.) and sprinkle it generously with salt. Wrap in paper towels and weight it down for a couple hours. The salt draws out all the bitterness. Just make sure to wipe or rinse the excess salt off before continuing! I also bread my eggplant for eggplant parm--helps hide the eggplant taste. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I might try it again breaded. I was trying to be all healthy and stuff. That'll teach me! Ha!!

    ReplyDelete