Did I spell whoopie right? Whoopie pies were this years cupcake. It was the trendy thing to try to get creative with. So, when I saw this recipe on a blog I follow, Fat Girl Trapped In a Skinny Body, I had to give them a try. She is genius! These cookies are inspired! They are like homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies, but with Nutella instead of cream. They were soooooo good.
Oatmeal Nutella Whoopie PiesFat Girl Trapped In a Skinny Body
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Evaporated Cane Juice (or regular sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Nutella (about 1 tbsp per sandwich or more to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars. Beat them for about a minute, then add the egg and vanilla.
Measure out the oats in a separate bowl, then sift in the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Slowly add the dry mix to the wet mix as you are mixing it until blended.
- Scoop about 1-1.5 tbsp onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes depending on oven. The original recipe calle dor 11-13 minutes, but mine were fully done at 9.
- Cool on the pan for about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Cool the cookies completely before spread with Nutella and making the "pies".